Obasanjo Commends Alex Otti For Law Revoking Former Abia Govs, Deputies’ Pensions

Forum 1 month ago

Obasanjo Commends Alex Otti For Law Revoking Former Abia Govs, Deputies’ Pensions

Nigeria's former President Olusegun Obasanjo has applauded Governor Alex Otti.

Obasanjo commended Otti for assenting to the Abia State of Nigeria Governors and Deputy Governors Pension Repeal Law.

The law stopped life pensions for former governors and deputy governors of the state.

Obasanjo gave the commendation on Friday when he paid a visit to the governor in Nvosi Isiala Ngwa South Local Government Area.

“I saw the repeal of Abia pensions of former governors; you said to me that the pension scheme for former governors here is too outrageous.

“It allows them to have a house in Abuja and elsewhere, and it allows them to cart away with whatever they can.

“Yet the pensions of ordinary people from 2014 are unpaid and you came and said there will be an end to that rascality.

“I congratulate you and I hope that your colleagues will follow your footstep,” Obasanjo said.

The former president told Otti that there is a lot of work to be done in the state.

“You have started well, but you should never be tired nor discouraged, because you will be abused and you will be called names.

“If we have one-third of our states doing what should be done, this country will be a different country,” Obasanjo said.

He urged the Abia governor to remain diligent and to pay adequate attention to infrastructure development.

According to Obasanjo, the people of Abia were enterprising, adding that good leadership and adequate infrastructure would serve as a huge incentive for them.

“I have always maintained that if there’s any zone in this country that could really give what I call regional development, it’s the Southeast, because you are almost monolithic in everything,” he said.

Responding, Otti said that he strongly believed that infrastructure remains a key determinant for socio-economic growth.

He also said that the Abia government was intentional about developing infrastructure, particularly in Aba as the industrial hub of the Southeast.

“In the last nine months, we have completed and commissioned ten roads in Aba and at the moment we have about 31 roads that are in different stages of construction and completion,” he said.

Otti further thanked Obasanjo for supporting the resolve of the state government to revoke the pension law for former governors and deputy governors.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
End This Hiding, Submit Yourself To The Law - Ologbondiyan To Yahaya Bello
Forum | 18 hours ago

End This Hiding, Submit Yourself To The Law - Ologbondiyan To Yahaya Bello

Seyi Law Lays Curses On X User Who Accused Him Of Leaving A Club With A Pr*stitute
Forum | 1 day ago

Seyi Law Lays Curses On X User Who Accused Him Of Leaving A Club With A Pr*stitute

Nigerian Police Arrest Trigger-Happy Officer Who Shot Dead Businessman In Abia For Refusing To Give Bribe
Forum | 6 days ago

Nigerian Police Arrest Trigger-Happy Officer Who Shot Dead Businessman In Abia For Refusing To Give Bribe

Abia Govt Vows Justice As Protest Rocks Umuahia Over Navy Cadet’s Death In Swimming Pool
Forum | 1 week ago

Abia Govt Vows Justice As Protest Rocks Umuahia Over Navy Cadet’s Death In Swimming Pool